As children transition to adulthood, it becomes increasingly important to remember our pledge to them at Baptism, to "love, support, and care" for them as they grow. High School is a difficult time for all young adults who are learning lessons in maturity, social interaction, love, and peer pressure. our High School Christian Education program focuses on keeping young adults engaged, providing an opposing view to popular culture and strengthening their understanding of Christian principles.
Opportunities for High School youth include:
- A Confirmation class is offered in alternate years for students in eighth grade and above. The curriculum used is the United Church of Christ “Affirming Our Faith” program. The class meets weekly during the school year and covers a variety of topics including worship, church history, the bible, theology, mission, and spiritual life. At the conclusion of the class, students who choose to do so confirm the promises made at their baptism through the Rite of Confirmation. The Rite of Confirmation is celebrated in worship during the Easter season. In 2018, it will occur on Pentecost, May 20. Confirmation is currently meeting on Wednesday evenings at 6:00 p.m. If you have a student who would like to join the class, please contact Pastor Kent: Kent@firstcongolax.org
- A yearly High School Mission Trip to help others living in poverty or injustice across our nation.
- OWL (Our Whole Lives) , a faith-based sexuality education program offered for 10th-12th graders.
- Service on boards, committees, in Sunday School classes, and in the community.
The High School Mission Trip is a powerful, Christian way in which young adults see the injustice of the world around them firsthand, and bond with each other during the eight day trip. In addition, youth are required to raise the funds to go on the trip, learning responsibility and planning, along with a lot of fun group activities. Previous trips have included service work in
- Rocky Mountain National Park
- Duvall Home, Florida
- San Antonio
- Logan, West Virginia
- New York City
- Biloxi, Mississippi